Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Thursday, 1/25/07

I had lab work done today and both my red blood counts and my white blood counts are dropping quickly.

After the lab work was done, I had an appointment with my regular oncologist. Originally, the plan was for me to have chemotherapy treatments 3 weeks in a row, with the following week off, before starting the next round of 3 treatments. The first of my chemotherapy treatments consisted of the drugs, Taxol and low dose Carboplatin, and the following 2 chemo treatments consisted just of Taxol.

This was to be my week off, which Bruce really thought it was going to be, but judging by the way the onc. talked the last time I saw him (remember, he's also Bruce's onc. so I've known him a long time! LOL), I thought I was going to end up having chemotherapy today. I was right! The onc. was so pleased with my progress that he's decided to go after the cancer more aggressively! Not only did he decide that I should have chemo, today he ordered high dose of Carboplatin for me.

My onc is sending out a piece of my tumor to be tested for a special marker, which I want it to have! Only 10% of the people with the type of lung cancer I have have the marker though, so chances are that I don't have it. Please be praying that my cancer DOES has the marker! If it does, there's a special drug that I'd be able to get and it has a 90% remission rate!

While getting my chemo, I also got a shot to help boost my red blood count.

When we got home from the hospital, getting the mail was like Christmas Day! There were gifts, cards and gift cards! Bruce and I are overwhelmed by how much everyone is doing for us...we don't know how we'll ever be able to thank you all!

Now I know which treatment caused my confusion when I had chemo for the first time. It is the Carboplatin and it's doing it again! This evening, I am having trouble focusing and concentrating on any one thing. For example: I'm trying to type this for the blog, but I'm having trouble finding the right keys and my spelling is all wrong. I also keep forgetting what I'm doing!

Although I'm also having some of the common side-effects from both medicines, this difficulty in keeping my mind focused is the most frustrating one. According to a paper given to use by the hospital, mental confusion is one of the RARE side-effects of Carboplatin.

Again, please be praying that my cancer DOES have the marker!

2 comments:

someone else said...

My prayers are still with you. Your update sounds promising and that's so good to read.

Jayray said...

I just wanted you to know I was thinking of you.......