Sunday, January 14, 2007

Monday, 1/01/07

I had quite a few visitors today, which I really enjoyed despite the fact that I was very tired all day.

Friends and family members keep calling my hospital room, to get updates from Bruce on my condition. Flowers, gifts, get well cards, emails and baskets of food have also been arriving daily. I am humbled by the expressions of love I'm receiving from so many!

While I was resting today, the oncologist came into the room and I overheard Bruce ask him the million dollar question..."What is the official diagnosis and prognosis?". I knew it was a question that Bruce needed to ask.

The doctor told him I had incurable, inoperable, stage 4 non-small cell lung cancer with known metastases to the adrenal gland and to the brain. It was possible that the cancer had also spread to other body parts, so a bone scan would be done the following day. For insurance reasons, a PET scan couldn't be done until I was released from the hospital, to see if it is in any other organs.

Treatment Plan: Daily total brain irradation treatments (with Saturdays and Sundays off), Decadron 4 times a day, IV chemotherapy done weekly with the drugs Taxol and Carboplatin, and supportive medicines for pain, nausea, thrush, and other side-effects of treatment.

Prognosis: If treatment is successful, I have 12 months to 18 months to live.


No comments: