Saturday, January 20, 2007

Thursday, 1/18/07

I woke up about 4 am today (Decadron will do that to you). When I came out into the living room, Missy was even worse than last night. She had obviously had a lot of diarrhea and vomiting during the night, and it was pretty much pure blood that came out both ends. She just lay sleeping for awhile, before she gave out a cry of pain. When she did that, I went and woke up Bruce and he petted Missy and told her how much he loved her, until he felt her heart stop. Our beloved Missy passed away at approximately 5:15 am today.

My first appointment of the day, was with a surgeon. I'm going to be having day surgery next week, to have a port put in. The nurses will use the port as an access, to do blood draws and to give me my intravenous chemotherapy through. I'll be having the surgery on Wednesday.

After I saw the surgeon, I had lab work done and then I received chemotherapy. Bruce and I took the first VCR tape from the series, Matthew: The Visual Bible, to watch while I was getting my chemo. However, I ended up falling asleep and when the chemo was done, the nurse had to wake me up. I was so tired, I just wanted to stay there and continue sleeping!

Later in the day, I had a radiation treatment.

When we got home from the hospital, Bruce took Missy's lifeless body to the veterinarian's, to have her cremated. The ground is too frozen to bury her right now, so we'll bury her ashes in the spring. This is a very sad day for us.

In a show of support for me, Brittany shaved her head today. She says she's going to keep it shaved, until my hair starts growing back in. When mine starts growing in again, she'll start letting hers grow again. What a sweet gesture! Thank you Brittany!

3 comments:

JoAnn P said...

Hi Trudi
I hope you don't mind me posting here on your blog..I went to the lymphoma site today and saw it posted.

Trudi, I want you to know what an inspiration you have been for me. Although we have never met, I have felt your love many many times. I remember when I was searching the net after first being diagnosed in 2001, just after my 40th birthday. I came across the website you had made and clicked on the link to Bruces story. Seeing you and Bruce there in a picture together allowed me to focus on hope. In fact, there were many times when I saw that picture of Bruce, dancing at your daughters wedding.. I carried the strenght of that picture in my mind when the ravages of chemo distorted my mind. That picture sustained me through many treamtents, and many CT scans. And while I am in remssion at the present, I think of you both weekly.

You have no idea of how you have touched my life and the life of my children. I want to thank you for that.

Now, it is my turn, if there is any way I can help, please let me know. Although I am in Canada, I am a thought away. I wasn't much for praying prior to cancer, but I now believe it is a fundimental treatment. I am a nurse by profession, so if there is any research you need or any questions about treatemnts, just ask, I will endeavour to find the answer.

Okay, I know your brain must be very tired right now, so I won't go on. Just know that my thoughts are with you. BIG HUGS

JoAnn

Chris said...

Trudi,

I just wanted to post and let you know that you are in my prayers daily. You and Bruce have been such an inspiration to all of us and continue to be.

All through my treatment I kept Phil 4:13 close to my heart. I can do ALL things throught Christ who strengthens me. I say it today when ever I need strength. (everyday for one reason or another)
I am so thankful you know the Lord as your savior, to know whatever you going through our Lord will be there with you and giving you peace in your heart.
You have so many people praying for you and prayer is SO powerful.

Thank you for all you do for people, now its time for people to do for you.

LOve in Christ.
Chris (Lymphoma board)

Jessica Nichols said...

Trudi,

I am completely saddened to hear that you've lost your little dog Missy on top of everything else you are going through. I am really so terribly sorry that words are totally failing me. I hope you can somehow know how I feel and that I love you dearly and I wish more than ever in my entire life that a magic wand existed and I had my hands on one! I wish I wasn't on the complete opposite coast too. I feel so far away during this great time of need.

Sadly,
Jess